BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 27, 2010

First Light

The birds wake and call sweetly
They know the sun will come
Bringing the light and promise of a new day
The glass may appear half empty as the cold night lingers
While the warmth of day slowly pushes through the dark
The sky glows before the return of the sun
Rich and deep colors that do not stay long
The creeping rays of sun are crossing the previous eastward lands

Clipped in, I ride uphill to get the blood moving
The lungs begin their complaint
The morning is still very young and almost cold
But more beauty abounds than can even be counted
I crest the hill and level out for a bit
The sun is nearing the horizon as I come around a bend
I am listening to the Ashoken Farewell/The Contradiction
Which refuses to be changed for anything
I glance over toward the east and catch the suns first orange glimmer
Stopping, I sit on a curb, bike laid to the side

A person might think it would take awhile to watch the sun rise
On the contrary, it is rather efficient
The glow of the rounded, perfect fireball begins ascent
The small clouds pale in comparison
But the light of the sun shines on all
So the beams of light steal through the farthest touches of cloud
Just above the sunrise, a few clouds are illumined and silvery
The sun is coming, really and surely
Everything is aglow and each moment brings a new light to a sleepy land

All of Creation awaits this start of day
It will be a sad day if the birds lose their fervor
The suns rise would be so empty
But for now, the sky still welcomes the fading night
The birds all call to the coming day
The moon has waited to say good day to the sun
So when it has risen, I get up and ride along

Now I ride downhill with a nice view of the full moon
A few turns lead to a path behind homes
Up, down and around
Here comes the uphill as I shift gears to make the climb
Courage is not in beginning the upward climb
It is the faith that the top of the mountain will come
Pushing onward, the cold air bites in the shadows of the homes
Oh! To be back in the sunlight again!
Even the light seems to simply warm a little
Just as there appears to be very little chance of making it without walking
The sun breaks through in a very promising streak

Conquering the length of that hill is so invigorating
So incredibly purposeful
As the sun rises just a bit more
I ride out to the street nearby where I had watched the sunrise
As I turn toward home
I decide to turn back around for one more look
The all encompassing burst of light is so constant as it beckons
A little longer in the beauty and the warmth and then back home

I have been so consumed with the sunrise
I did not notice the cold on my skin
Nor the stiffness in my muscles and hands
As I approach the house, I think to myself
If anyone ever first learned to love
To laugh, smile, dream or pray
It was when they first welcomed the sun
In their heart and soul

0 comments: